The process of joining in a civil union is the same as a traditional marriage, however, a civil union may not be recognized by other states. Both civil union and marriage ceremonies may be performed by a judge or religious authority of your choosing. If you have questions about the difference between the two, please call us at 217-384-3720.
Information about scheduling the civil union ceremony at the courthouse can be found here.
- Quick Facts About Civil Unions
- Illinois has had civil unions since 2011.
- A civil union is between 2 people of either the same or opposite sex who are 18 years of age and not blood relatives.
- A civil union can be converted into a marriage, a marriage cannot be converted into a civil union.
- For federal income tax purposes, a civil union is not a marriage and cannot file with any married status on federal taxes.
- Civil unions also can have different parental visitation rights after divorce.
- For more information about the legal differences between a civil union and a marriage, visit Illinois Legal Aid.
- If you want to be married through a courthouse wedding service, you still need a marriage license. That is not a civil union.
- Important Reminders
- Both parties must be 18 years or older and not blood relatives.
- You begin the application process online but must pick the license up together, in-person at the Clerk’s Office. Valid ID with proof of age is required by both parties. Acceptable ID is outlined here.
- Once the license is issued, the civil union must take place within 60 days in Champaign County. Couples must obtain a civil union license at least 24 hours before the ceremony is to take place. They cannot obtain the civil union license on the day of the ceremony.
- A civil union license cost $75.
- Applying For A Civil Union License
Step 1 - Complete the online form here.
Step 2 - Complete the in-person requirement of the license. You can schedule a time to come to the Clerk's Office here or by calling (217)384-3720. We do not take walk-ins.
Step 3 - Get civil unioned!
Step 4 - Return your civil union license to the Clerk's Office. You don't need an appointment, business hours are Monday-Friday, 8AM-4:30PM. For social distancing only 2 people are allowed in the office at a time, knock on the door for assistance.