File Records

It's easy to file your documents with the Clerk & Recorder's Office! The easiest being filing your documents electronically. Electronic recording is convenient and secure.

E-recording has several benefits including:

  • Less turn around time; documents that are e-recorded are submitted safely over the internet, recorded, and returned digitally that same day.
  • Makes your company green! E-recordings mean savings in paper, time, and fuel.
  • E-recording wins the "race to the courthouse" because e-recordings are seamlessly filed in the daily workflow.
  • Cost savings in postage (including overnight shipping).
  • Fewer rejections and quicker corrections.

If you would like to file your documents in-person, the Clerk & Recorder's Office is open Monday-Friday, excluding major holidays, 8AM-4:30PM, on the 2nd Wednesday of the month we open at 9am.


Legislators have recently passed HB3878 which increases the Rental Housing Support Fee by an additional $10.00.  The increase affects recording fees in all 102 counties throughout the State of Illinois and will take effect July 1, 2023.

MyDec is the online service of the Illinois Department of Revenue to process deeds, PTAX 203 forms, and revenue stamps. MyDec is a free and optional service.  It is anticipated that at some point in the future, all property transactions will be processed through MyDec so we are recommending people sign up and start to take advantage of the website. Sign up here for MyDec.

The Clerk & Recorder's Office also accepts e-filings from these agencies.


Real estate documents (Deeds, mortgages, releases, etc.) presented for recording in the State of Illinois must:

  • Be on white 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper.
  • The top 3 x 5 inches on the top right hand side must be blank.
  • No permanently bound or continuous forms.
  • No attachments stapled or taped to any pages.

All documents recorded in the State of Illinois must have included within the text a complete name and address of preparer, as well as, a complete name and address of where to return the document. Documents must have original signatures, and correct payment by check or cash.

Deeds: Must also have a complete name and address of where the tax bill is to be sent. All deeds require a State of Illinois PTAX declaration form or letter of exemption which is signed and dated.

Assignments and Releases: Require an associated document number.


In Illinois, the transfer of real estate from one entity to another is subject to the Real Estate Transfer Tax.  While there are some exemptions to this law, most transactions will have to be accompanied by a PTAX 203 form from the Illinois Department of Revenue.  The Department also has PTAX 203-A, PTAX 203-B, and PTAX 203-NR for unique circumstances, including exempt transactions.

Any deed brought to our office for recording must have one of the above forms accompanying the filing or the deed must cite an exemption from submitting the form.

The Department of Revenue website has more detailed information about the Real Estate Transfer tax and the forms to report it.

Complete statutory requirements for document filings may be found in 55 ILCS 5/3-5018.


Plat requirements are numerous. We recommend contacting your surveyor for all pertinent information.


Document Recording Fee:

  • $61. This includes deeds, mortgages, releases, and other related documents. There is no additional page charge.  
  • Documents not meeting one or more of these requirements are $73.00 with no additional page charge.
  • The plat recording fee is $108. The fee is the same, regardless of  number of pages.

Uniform Commercial Code Filings (UCC) are $33.  Releases are $13.

State Tax Liens and Releases are $11

Federal Tax Liens and Releases are $18.

Government bodies are exempt from paying the Rental Housing Support fee of $10, reducing their fees by that amount.

Copies of documents are $.50 per page.

Certified copies are $12 for the first four pages and $1 for additional pages.

Copies of plat maps are $1.50.

Copies of plats with all covenants are $10.00.

You can find more information on how the fees are broken down and what they fund here.


Scroll to the Top